Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Rocky Horror Picture Show Audience Participation

People of all sorts have been attending The Rocky Horror Picture Show Audience Participation (RHPS) for years. The film was first released in 1975 and flopped. Then went on later to play as an experiment at Midnight at the Waverly Theatre in Greenwich Village in 1977. The film grew more popular through the midnight showings every saturday. to warm the crowd up the owner of the theatre used to play the album before the film. At some point a couple crazy kids got up before the show and started lip-synching and doing the moves from the movie along with the soundtrack. During the showing of the film certain things started to be shouted out at the characters in the movie and were repeated week after week. This created the RHPS Audience Participation. Later came the addition of props as well. And eventually an entire cast would take the stage and act out the movie step by step as it was happening in front of you. So your film going experience just became a live audience participation experience. This still happens to this day all across the country.

I finally went to my first RHPS audience participation and it blew. I have been scared to go for years because people throw shit and yell things and it just gets crazy. But i finally went and it was so lacking the actual spirit of it all. Nobody dressed up like the characters. Nobody brought props. They were supposed to sell prop bags but they didn't. The volume of the movie was extremly low. The cast wasn't as dedicated as I felt the should have been to executing the moves of the great Tim Curry and fellow cast mates. All and all a major dissapointment. I'm now on a mission to find a good one before my tour is over. Anyone know where a good one is?

Have you ever gone to RHPS audience participation?

4 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL.
Christina and I Went to one at Shooters YEARS ago on Halloween- the year she was dressed as the Bud Lt. can that she made herself!! It was a BLAST! But after a while, we had to leave. We were both too drunk to be in there with people throwing things everywhere... and we wanted to dance...
Ahh... the good ol' days.
Find a good one Dustin- they are FUN!
Kelly Boobs.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Casey said...

I have not. Is yours going to be audience participation? You need to let me know when it is ... I just might have to go...

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger amanda said...

My friends tried to have one in college, but we were using the theatre the next day and couldn't really do anything that would make a mess - no rice, no bread, no water guns. That part was lame, but my friends were really into it, so that made it fun.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I think our production should be audience participation(I saw "our" like I'm in it). I want people to throw stuff...mainly flowers after my amazing performance, but if they do that whole participation thing instead, it would be okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home