Saturday, June 03, 2006

Bitty Bear...the bittiest show that could...


So....okay....okay....I know its not like some amazing spectacle of a show or anything but back in the summer of 2004 I workshopped a childrens show thorugh the Mattell company at American Girl Place Theatre in Chicago called "Bitty Bear's Matinee-A Family Tree". Now, this show taught more to kids in 45 minutes in a small plush (yes plush) enviroment than "sesame street live" does in it's hour and a half. Not only did it teach the run of the mill values like sharing, diversity and acceptance it also taught theatre etiquette...unlike sesame street live-flash photography is NOT allowed at the american girl theatre. good work AGP!

I have a place in my heart for this show, as I created the role of Bitty Puppy. I know it's a kids show and I know it's a puppy...but I'm still proud. I love Bitty Puppy...fav color is green and fav snack is pupsicles. Not to mention the experience of actually sitting with the composer of the show and having him say "What can I do for you? Anything you would like to discuss changes in?" That's when the key of Bitty Puppy's song "Baseball isnt easy" was raised. Loves it! Anyway, point of this post is that the show opened in September of 2004 in Chicago and then opened in the spring of 2005 at the New York store and has also just opened at the Los Angeles store....and it's still playing at all 3. I'm proud this little piece of work has survived almost 2 years. Good work Mattell!

Maybe I should just make a career out of it like Ted Neely has playing the role of Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar. My roomie just got the position of Head Electrician on the 2006-2007 leg of that tour and Ted Neely at 63 will yet AGAIN be playing Jesus. I saw him in it 10 years ago and even that was hard to watch....God love him....hmmm. And imagine me, a 63 year old puppy...in human years, 441 in puppy years.

Anyone else seen Ted in JCS? Was it as frightning for you as it was for me?

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger christopher john said...

I saw Ted in JCS in fall of '95 and he was looking a bit rough. . . but then again, I had just watched the movie, and the theater I saw it in SUCKED, so it could be a little of that too. . .but it's 12 years later, so he's probably pretty much done by now. . .

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Noland said...

this is why i love you. i totally got called in for this tour here in NYC and i walked out of there laughing to myself thinking that when i saw him about 10 years ago in Saginaw that he was too old and that i couldnt IMAGINE him doing it now.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Casey said...

I think you should TOTALLY be Bitty Bear until you are 60. That would be awesome!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Casey said...

Ooops, I meant Bitty Puppy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home