Friday, June 02, 2006

Running With Scissors



Just finished this book last week and i loved it!

I found myself laughing hysterically at this book while simultaneously shaking my head in horror. It's the story of Burrough's life from the age of roughly 13 to 16. Burrough's lived a middle-classed life, but the people around him were gradually losing it. His mother began to have "psychotic breaks" (although it sounds like she may have had bipolar disorder) and hooked up with a bizarre psychiatrist - Dr. Finch. Soon, every aspect of their lives are touched by Dr. Finch and his equally bizarre family. At times, the events are horrifying, such as Burrough's molestation by Dr. Finch's adopted son. Remarkably, Burrough's manages to find the humor even in these situations. People are likely to compare Burrough's to another gay humorist, David Sedaris; however, Burrough's stories are far darker than those of Sedaris, although both of them write great funny stories. This book was a tremendously quick read, and I laughed out loud more than any recent book I've read. Highly recommended on that basis, but some readers are likely to be highly offended by some of the content.

I just went and picked up another book of his today..."dry". I'm excited for the read.

What have you read lately?

3 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

you shut your tan face joice! Our friendship came naturally, I could never deny anything like that!

you know I love you.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I love Burroughs so hard. I just read Possible Side Effects. Right now I'm reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Read it. You might love it.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished Haunted which was really good. It's pretty dark and very twisted as well. It's Chuck Palahnuk (how ever the hell you spell his last name) the fight club guy...and it is 23 short stories told by these writers at a writers retreat...and they are locked inside this place for 3 months and the longer they are in there the crazier they get...pretty interesting/disgusting/horrifying/clever stuff...:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home