Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Muppet Heads...



A few weeks ago I asked my performance director if I could try on a few of the different muppet heads so I could really be "in the know" as far as what my fellow co workers can and can NOT see when they are in costume. After some arrangements were made with wardrobe and everything was approved for me to do this the day came. Now, before this I had total respect for everyone I work with. I myself did costume work as shown in the picture below in "Bitty Bear's Matinee" at the American Girl Place theatre in Chicago. as you can see, my face was still exposed and as you can see with Elmo here...everything is covered on these performers. After I tried on these heads last Sunday and did a couple jigs in them I am in complete AW of my fellow performers. I tried Elmo, Zoe and Blanche the Polar bear heads on. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have taken for a dancer to get used to wearing a costume of this nature. It feels like someone put a trash can over your head and punched a hole in it so you can "see". I have heard horror stories of muppets puking in their heads and just freaking out in them during production and I think I would totally be in that boat. So...Muppets-I SALUTE YOU! I could never ever do what you do and I think you are all AMAZING! Ecspecially those of you that seriously rock out in these costumes....you know who you are!

I have no question.

3 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Casey said...

That's right! Well, I have respect for you, too. It's a bitch to dance around like an ass, and then sing a freaking ballad! And to have to smile all the time - hard stuff! So, LIVE PERFORMERS - WE LOVE YOU TOO!!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger amanda said...

My brother's fiance is seriously afraid of the big heads - won't go to Disneyland - and ironically, my brother was our high school mascot and wore a big hawk head for a football season. He used to do round-offs in the head. People loved him.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I'm scared to death of people in costumes when I can't see their face. Remember going to that costume contest at Shooters Amanda? I too was my high school mascot from time to time and would do flips and cartwheels with my big head. I was such a looser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home