Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How I Paid For College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theatre


I loved this book! My friend Amanda lent it to me and knew I would love it....and I did! She lent it to me like 3 months ago and when I got it, it just so happened EVERYONE in the cast was reading it and then passing it on so in an effort to not be like everyone else I first read "The Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius"...while that was good, it doesnt compare. Granted "how I paid for college" was a pretty easy read but it was just brilliant! the other strange thing was that this kid was kinda me in some parts, it was weird. Everyone that just read that previous sentence who has read the book notice I said I was like him in SOME parts....not be confused with ALL parts...K?

We all know I suck at giving the 411 on a book so below is someone's efforts from amazon.com, enjoy....and just go read the book!


How I Paid For College is a funny and sweet coming of age novel--with lots of sex, for a change. Ed, the narrator-protagonist, is about to enter his senior year in high school and his main goal in life is to go to Julliard, but his business-oriented dad decides that Julliard won't get him anywhere in life, so he won't pay for it. Ed and his amusing friends set off on a quest to come up with the cash to pay for college. It's 1984, so college isn't quite the expensive proposition we now know it to be, but Ed still has got to come up with quite a chunk of change. The novel isn't really about with getting money for college, it is really about getting the courage to see who you truly are. Ed realizes his own sexuality, as do most of his friends. They also become comfortable in their roles in high school (as "Play People") and by the end of the novel are pretty well-adjusted 18-year olds. This is a charming novel for many reasons. Ed is a lovable narrator and his sarcastic, cynical and hilarious look at the New Jersey suburbs in the early 80s is priceless and hilarious. This novel will make you laugh out loud and will always keep you smiling. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Thanks for the shoutout, Russell - I'm glad you liked it!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Marc Acito said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on your blog about HOW I PAID FOR COLLEGE. Being a novelist is an uphill climb and i need all the sherpas I can get.

Please be sure to look for the sequel, ATTACK OF THE THEATER PEOPLE, in bookstores 4/22. A list of my personal appearance is on my website (marcacito.com). If I'm in your city, please come so I can give you a big hug for your kind words.

And, finally, please check out my blog when you have a chance: MarcAcito.blogspot.com. I'm trying to do something new every day for a year.

Thanks again.

Enthusiastically,

Marc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home