Sunday, April 02, 2006

David Sedaris


So the other day I get in the car to go to work and my boss was like "David Sedaris is going to be at the theatre a few blocks from the one we are playing at Sunday night...who wants to go?". 1) I'm broke 2) Sunday night is Grey's Anatomy 3) I missed out on a chance to see Mr. Sedaris in Chicago because I was layed up on my couch with a busted ankle and 4) I couldn't miss this. So my boss, Rebecca, fronted me the money for the ticket. But at the same time I was like....he's an author....is he just gonna like read to me? And what is he gonna read? I've read every single one of his books!

When I read his books I always imagine him actually talking to me so this was going to be strange for me on many levels. We walked in the lobby and there he was like 2 feet away from me signing books already. I was really excited! Problem is I own all of his books and I dont have a single one with me on the road right now to get autographed. But finally I just decided I would ask him to sign my ticket.....the line was cut off by security.

He comes on stage and the lights dim and I must remind you this was the end of a long work week for me. I was so excited but the theatre got dark and he started reading stories (new ones too!) so I'm still excited. But then my drowsiness took over. Before I knew it my head kept bobbing down and I would jolt awake or I would start to drift in and out between burst of laughter. I was pissed that I was getting to see my favorite author rvery funny material and I was dozing off!!! Then he strayed away from reading stories off of a page and the house lights came on so he could talk to the audience. That woke me up a titch but seriously....I love him and I think he is hilarious!!! Next time I'm downing 2 NoDoz tablets with a cup of coffee! GR!

So, he was well worth the money for the ticket and I hope I get to see him again someday and I'm gonna get there early with all of my books in hand so I can get his signature. Read one of his books if you get the chance!

Have you ever had trouble staying awake at an event even though you REALLY wanted to be there and you were just exhausted???
maybe he should have thrown in a musical number with some drums to wake my ass up!

5 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Blogger christopher john said...

You soooo pulled a ME! How's this one. . . I fell alseep at the Cirque du Soleil martial arts extravaganza KA. . . .about 15 minutes into it! But I have to explain. I worked all day, and it was Vegas (so it was hot), and the air conditioning was SO comfortable. . .there, I feel justified!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger paultoes said...

yeah, remember the indigo girls in wisconsin?
you should have had him sign your asscheek.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You missed Grey's? You are so in trouble. Okay, I missed a few in Holland and am actually excited about seeing those in reruns. And I sat two seats away from Chris at Ka and had no idea he fell asleep.....

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

As much as I love me some David, I don't know that I would find it too enjoyable to sit there while he read to me.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Casey said...

Hmm, dunno if I'd want to hear him read to me either, but I am sure it was cool.

I sat NEXT to Chris, and I didn't know he was asleep. Well, I prolly did, but I was too busy WATCHING THE SHOW!

I have a habit of falling asleep in movies, which is why I usually don't like to go to the movies, cause I am scared to fall asleep.

"I don't see plays, cause I can nap at home for free" - Steel Magnolias!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home