Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius


I actually finished a book among all my movie going this week. A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius was a really good read start to finish. It was very solid...I find in so many books I read I get to a lul in the middle where I have to push through for a little. Not with this. It's funny...everyone I talked to about this book has been like "OH my god! I love that book!! Isn't it brilliant? I just thought it was brilliant". I think it was good...kind of smart and funny but not really brilliant. I think if I knew this guy I would wanna punch him in the face a little, but I did indeed enjoy the book. And he is kinda cute...I used to have a thing for guys with curly hair.

A review on amazon.com started by saying"Boring, pretentious drivel"....hehehee....that made me chuckle. The book is kind of Dave Eggers ramblings about dealing with his mother and fathers death and raising his little brother Toph, along with his sister Beth after his parents have passed. Also dealing with everything you deal with when a parent passes. Both of my parents are alive so I can't even imagine what it's like. And I defintaly can't imagine what it is like to raise a younger sibling....so it was nice to see some insight into that. But like anything, I know there are more views on that than just his.

I'm glad I read it. Not a waste of time. I think anyone should read it if they get a chance.

My favorite quote from the book..."It's disgusting, these little porkers...the existance of fat kids"

hahaha, isn't the word "porkers" funny?

5 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I started it (before my mom died, FYI) and just couldn't get into it. It was way too overtly intellectual, like "Oh, look at how smart I am." Blech.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

i can agree with that.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Casey said...

Hmm, well, I JUST finished the last of the Sleeping Beauty trilogy, which I've been reading since God knows when. I jsut started "Sellevision" - cute so far.

And porkers is funny.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

YAY! Sellevision! I LOVED that book!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger amanda said...

oh, I LOVE Sellevision. I think it's one of the best books ever written. Did you know that Augusten Burroughs has a new book coming out in early May?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home